06 February 2013

Creatine for women...the great debate!





If you ask a man one supplement he cannot live without, it would be creatine. However, mention the word creatine to a women, and most will run the other way….as fast as they can! I used to be one of these women, until I read a recent article in Oxygen magazine (see link below). What I was surprised to read is that creatine works differently in women than in men, allowing women to experience the muscle-building benefits of creatine without adding body fat…this got me super excited! 

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Is-Creatine-Right-For-You.aspx

As a female who had always turned the other cheek at the mention of creatine, I started my research. I very quickly discovered that there were different types of creatine on the market and so many different brands to choose from…the question was, 'which type of creatine was the right for me?'. 

I came across a new form a creatine called Kre-Alkalyn, which is creatine monohydrate (the most common form in creatine supplements) that has been fully stabilised via new technology to create 100% stable creatine, for maximum absorption into the blood stream. Kre-Alkalyn is processed at a higher pH level then regular creatine monohydrate, allowing Kre-Alkalyn to buffer lactic acid. Accumulation of lactic acid is recognised as the rate limiting factor in exercise, thus Kre-Alkalyn prolongs muscular performance and delays the onset of fatigue.

Kre-Alkalyn is the creatine source used in the supplement Beta K by Ultimate Nutrition. The great thing about this product is two-fold. Not only does Beta K by Ultimate Nutrition contain the best form of creatine on the market, Kre-Alkalyn, but it also contains beta alanine. Beta alanine plays a critical role in the muscular failure process as it acts as a buffering agent that buffers muscle tissue from acidity, thereby delaying muscular fatigue. Beta alanine actually lives up to its claims, with its efficacy being backed up by major university and peer-reviewed studies performed on humans. Recent scientific research demonstrates that beta alanine produces additional benefits when supplemented with creatine. 

Back to my initial question of 'which type of creatine was the right for me?', I chose Beta K by Ultimate Nutrition. Being a female, and still being a little apprehensive about using creatine as part of my regular workout supplementation (despite the article in Oxygen magazine), I decided to slowly start using Beta K,  mainly on the days that I was training larger muscle groups (e.g. back, chest etc.), with a slight fear that I may look bloated or swollen as men have previously told me they have felt after their creatine supplementation. 

So, after using Beta K on half a dozen occasions now, here are my thoughts on creatine supplementation…I L.O.V.E.D. it! I trained harder and for longer on the days that I took Beta K. I felt an awesome 'pump' and I definitely did not feel swollen or bloated…definitely a win/win situation for myself :-). I'm definitely feeling closer to my goal of performing an unassisted pull-up and I'm sure I'll be reaching my goal soon if I continue to use Beta K by Ultimate Nutrition. This is a supplement that I will definitely incorporate into my regular weight training regime. Why not give it a try yourself! Happy training girls :-)

"The myth that women shouldn't lift heavy is only perpetuated by women who fear work and men who fear women" - source unknown

xx Nicole xx
Team Nutrition Republic

1 comment: